Monday, November 12, 2012

Things Left Unspoken

"Roderick, we have to talk," says Megan as Roderick fills his plate with scrapple and applesauce.

"Um, OK." Roderick follows Megan to a small table apart from the others, takes a seat and bites a piece of scrapple.

"So...um...I'm not sure how to say this..." Megan struggles to find the right words.

"Take your time," says Roderick through a mouthful of scrapple.

"Well, um....it's been great being your girlfriend, and...I don't want to hurt your feelings, but....I'm thinking maybe I just need some space."

"OK". Roderick spears another piece of scrapple, scoots it around in the applesauce and devours it.

"You know, um, I've been thinking about seeing Henry Witherspoon because he seems like he'll be a good earner."

"Yes, I understand that there's a real future in Tax Policy."

Megan winces. "Of course, I'm sure you will be a good earner, too."

"Yes, I suppose that's probably true."

"But Molly won't want to share your income and assets."

Roderick reflects on this point. "No, I guess she won't."

"I had the tattoo removed, the one with your name."

"I didn't know that you had a tattoo."

"Of course, this doesn't mean we can't have sex and stuff."

"We haven't had sex."

"True. But there's always the future." Megan checks her watch. "Oops, gotta run. Conference call with Lake City University Chicks With Glocks." She departs.

Molly sees Megan depart and occupies the empty seat across from Roderick, who smiles. "What did Megan want?" she asks.

"I think I've just been broken up with."

"What a shame!" says Molly. "I'm so sorry."

"She wants to be Henry's first girlfriend because she figures you wouldn't want to share my income and assets."

"I never thought about that," says Molly. "But I suppose it's customary."

Roderick shrugs. "Not to worry. I'll just have to promote Emily Scharf to second girlfriend."

"She's a lovely person. And both of you are interested in music."

Roderick leans forward. "But I need your womanly advice about something."

"Sure, what is it?"

"Should I tell Emily she's second girlfriend or just leave it ambiguous?"

Molly reflects, then offers standard Beauneville wisdom. "I think it's better to leave some things unspoken."

In the evening, Roderick attends a secret meeting of Cyathos et Gladios, the proceedings of which we cannot describe in this story because it's secret.