Monday, February 4, 2013

The Proper Place for a Communist

Justin Cabot-Fluffer,eldest son of the Cabot-Fluffers of Bedford Glen, is unhappy with John Locke; he is also unhappy with Mr. Parvelescu for lecturing on Locke without offering equal time to Karl Marx.

"John Locke is a bourgeois capitalist philosopher who speaks for the rich," he announces during class discussion.

"Such as your parents..." remarks Mr. Parvelescu.

Justin ignores the comment. "His idea that the primary role of government is the protection of property is rubbish based on a bogus foundation of 'state of nature' theorizing that we can toss into the dustbin of History."

Mr. Parvelescu strides over to Justin's table and looms over him. "I'll take that," he says, swiping Justin's iPhone.

"Hey!" yells Justin. "That's mine!"

"Well it was yours, but it's mine now." He holds it up for all to see.

"You can't do that!"

"I just did."

"But..."

"Let me guess, you were about to say that you have a right to keep your iPhone, yes?"

"I sure do?"

"Who gave you that right?"

"Um...society, the courts, the legislature. There are laws against stealing."

"I didn't steal anything. This phone used to be yours but it's mine now."

"Society says I have a right to my property."

"Anyone here agree with him?" Mr. Parvelescu looks around the room. No hands are raised. "Sorry, the society in this room doesn't agree with you." He plays with the phone. "How do you unlock this thing?"

"I'll call my Dad."

"Ah, the appeal to authority. Maybe that will work and maybe it won't. But admit it -- regardless of what your Communist friends tell you, you instinctively believe that you have an absolute right to your property, dare I say a natural right, correct? You don't have to say anything, I've made my point." He returns the phone.

Roderick thinks this is all very entertaining. He likes to see Communists put in their place.