Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Mr. Smoot

On Tuesday morning, Roderick visits Old Ivy professors for academic advising.

First on the list: Mr. Hawley Smoot, Professor of Political Economy. (At Old Ivy, it's customary to address professors as "Mister" rather than "Doctor" or "Professor"). Roderick knocks on the door and enters. Mr. Smoot, who is building a model clipper ship with toothpicks, glowers at Roderick over his thick glasses.

"Yes?"

"My name's Roderick, and I'm interested in Political Economy".

"And...?"

"Um...and I thought I would stop by and introduce myself".

"So you have."

Silence.

"Um...can you tell me something about studying Political Economy?"

"It's a miserable field. No money in it all. Have to read dozens of poorly written papers by clueless and inarticulate students."

"You mean like me?"

"If the shoe fits."

"My Dad is an investment manager, and I would like to do that when I graduate."

"Well, bully for you."

"My Dad says studying Political Economy will help me in my career."

"He's wrong."

Again, silence.

"OK, well...thanks".

Roderick departs.

Meanwhile, in Studio 2B, Molly strikes a pose for the Human Figure class. The windows are open, and Fall air is crisp on her skin. She shivers slightly.

In her third floor room in West Quad, Megan Cupcake cleans her Glock.

Roderick's next stop: Mr. Strnk, Professor of English. A sign on the door says "Out Today!", so Roderick returns to his room.

A little later, Molly returns from Human Figure class, knocks on Roderick's door and slips inside to join him on the couch. She crosses her arms and hugs herself to keep warm. "I'm freezing, can you warm me up?"

Roderick warms Molly up.